Friday, February 12, 2016

SwimRun, here we come!


It's official:  Rebecca and I have signed up for the Casco Bay SwimRun.  This is advertised as the first race of its kind in the US, modeled after the Swedish Otillo race.  However, the concept does remind me of the SOS triathlon, in that it repeatedly alternates between swimming and running, so that you have to carry gear for both.  However, SOS starts with a bike leg, whereas Casco Bay has a ferry ride to get to the first island where you start.

I am still in search of the right gear, so if anyone has input, please let me know.  The main things I need are a lightweight trail shoe that is also good for swimming in, and a wetsuit that is good for running in.  The shoes should have enough traction to navigate the rocky shoreline, but be light enough that it doesn't get too heavy in the water, and flexible enough to point the toes.  While I have a full arm, full leg xterra wetsuit for triathlons, it would be so uncomfortable to run in for over 10 miles.  The swim-run style wetsuits should cover just the thigh and torso.  I would prefer sleeveless, but it looks like most have short sleeves.  They zip in the front so you can store gear under your wetsuit.  So far the only ones I can find online are from European companies:  swimrun shop and Huub.  The race does allow a lot of other gear like paddles and fins, but I hope to go minimalist as much as possible.  I would even prefer to go sans wetsuit, especially since the longest swim is only 1300 yards, but unfortunately, they are required.

My swimming has come along nicely, so I could be ready for that part of the race anytime.  I have been limiting my running due to knee pain related to IT band tightness for the last few months, but I think I have a good treatment plan and strengthening exercises going now, so I am gradually coming back, with 15 minute runs a few times a week at this point, and lots of stretching.  So, the real goal is to stay healthy enough to race this year.

Most of all, I am excited about the team aspect of this race.  It's not a relay; you actually race together with your teammate, connected by a rope on the swim.  It takes a special kind of crazy to want to do a race like this, and I am thrilled to have Rebecca as a teammate.  We trained together in Austin last year, and I am excited to train and race with such a passionate competitor and gentle spirit.  I think we will make a great team!


No comments:

Post a Comment