Monday, May 27, 2013

Bucks county bike riding

I drove to peace valley to start my ride, and it is worth the drive. It is so much nicer to bike on roads with barely any cars. I had been feeling like I am biking so much slower this year, but it is really a matter of having a long enough stretch with no intersections to be able to go faster.  The wind was so strong. Seeing sailboats on the lake reminded me that it is probably a better day for sailing than biking. Riding downhill against the wind is a crazy sensation. I imagine a small parachute would be enough to take flight. 

Sights along the way included large birds of prey swirling ominously in the wind, horse farms, dairy farms, and mansions surrounded by farms. It was interesting to see a sign for rice greenhouses. I didn't know rice was grown in PA.  I stopped at one point because I couldn't make a sharp left turn at the bottom of a hill when a car was coming, so I stopped by this bridge for a minute. Of course I was tempted to go play in the creek, but I kept moving. These photos are near the intersection of sweet briar and fretz valley rd in bedminster. 

I was roughly following a 25 mile loop I did last year, but I wanted to go 35 miles, so I made some additional turns and went exploring a bit. Just for the name, I had to turn onto Irish meetinghouse road, and it didn't disappoint, well paved, no traffic, and gradual hills. After that I was worried I wouldn't find my way without resorting to the map, as country roads don't go straight and connect where you would expect. But after a little trip through a random development, I did find my way back. 

I hope that as I build to biking longer distances, that I can find a good route to get to these roads from the new 202 bike path (which I am going to try for the first time today), but I am not sure how to get around the trafficky parts of the chalfont/doylestown area.


No comments:

Post a Comment